Sunday, November 4, 2012

DIY Corn heating pad with a drawstring bag.

One more homemade Christmas Present off the list, corn heating pad with a drawstring bag. Inspired by The Green Wife tutorial. I don't use patterns so I just winged it. It's homemade and the thought that counts right? So quick and easy to make and I already had all the materials on hand.

Materials Needed:
18x21 fat quarter
Approx 4 cups of corn (or you can use rice)
Ribbon for the drawstring
safety pin
sewing machine and scissors

First I cut out for my corn pad cutting and 18x10 rectangle. Right sides together hemmed all the edges leaving an opening for the corn on a short end. Turned right side poking out the corners. Eyeballed chalk lines to make 4 pockets for the corn. (I recommended doing some measurements!) Filled with corn to about an inch below my first chalk line. Pinned the corn back leaving just enough room to sew my line. Continued on in this manner until I reached the end.

Then on to my drawstring bag. Using the remainder of my fat quarter, I folded over about a half inch on the long side and sewed it down for my drawstring top. Then folded the whole thing in half right sides together and sewed up the other 3 sides. Turned it right side. Hooked the safety pin to the end of my ribbon and threaded it through the drawstring hem, tied the ends together and whew! I was done. Only took me about an hour. Now I just need to make a gift tag with directions!

Microwave for approximately 1 minute.  Be careful not to over heat and burn yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment